The newly revitalized district based Operation Hlasela Campaign (OPC) proved to be an enormous success. It took place on 12 April 2017 in the town of Smithfield, Xhariep District. The OPC approach seeks to enhance interactions between Government and communities of the Free State Province, in order to understand and respond to issues with more vigour.
As part of the approach, political principals (MECs) and Mayors, are expected to give oversight and assist in mobilising resources to address pressing service delivery challenges and maintain positive stake-holder relations in the communities.
The allocated Political Champions in the Xhariep District are MEC of the Provincial Treasury Hon. E. Rockman and MEC for Public Works and Infrastructure, Hon. D. Kotzee. They are assisted by HOD’s Ms Nthongoa (Social Development) and Mr. Molope (Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation). The Premier of the Free State, Hon Ace Magashule remains the overall oversee of the OPC in all the Districts.
The Xhariep inaugural OPC saw commitments on immediate issues raised by the community being attended to and they included:
– the renovations of the Mofulatsepe Community Hall in Mofulatsepe Township through the Public Works & Infrastructure in house technical expertise
– the restoration of the recreational facility for a safe and secure playground for children in Mofulatsepe
– donation of sports gear; nets and balls for various sporting codes such as soccer, netball and tennis Immediate surfacing of the local access roads as the area recently fell victim to storms
– plans and commitments to assist and remedy the source of the bulk water supply to the town of Smithfield
– assistance with the housing problems in the area