The Department of Public Works and Infrastructure is responding positively to the call to make public schools smart, innovative and learner friendly through e-learning initiatives.
The introduction of these schools is a strategic effort to enhance learning through digitalised learning methods, exposure to new technologies and ensuring access to state of the art facilities at schools across the Province.
“The call from our sister Department, the Department of Education to build and provide the schools and learning centres that promote e-learning is what we shall deliver,” said MEC for Public Works & Infrastructure, Dora Kotzee.
These learning institutions have been systematically reinvented in terms of teaching and learning practices, they also incorporate technological learning system in classrooms boasting connectivity.
The acceleration of these school infrastructure projects drives home the commitment of the Free State Provincial government in education. These school projects created jobs opportunities through the Departmental Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) which has empowered young men and women through the transfer of skills and further assisting to intensify the battle against poverty, unemployment and inequality.
A standard uniform design approach to the new schools includes a project profile with administration blocks, media centres, dining rooms, kitchens, multipurpose classrooms, science and computer laboratories, tuck shops, multipurpose halls, sports fields, care-taker houses, storerooms in different class-rooms, male and female accessible bathrooms.
Free State Department of Public Works and Infrastructure works indeed!
Multi-year school projects which started in 2016/2017 Financial year:
- Hoopstad: GM Polori School
- Vrede: Thembalihle School
- Warden: Silindukuhle School
- Zastron: Mooifontein School
- Clocolan: Ruang Tsebo School
- Welkom: Chris Hani Primary School
- Sasolburg: Bekezela (Amelia)
- Hertzogville: Malebogo Primary School
- Welkom: Adelaide Tambo Secondary School
- Botshabelo: Tlholo Primary School
- Bloemfontein: Grassland Secondary School and Grassland Primary School
- Thaba Nchu: Bartimea Special School
- Bethlehem: Rehopotswe (Bohlokong) Primary School
- Kroonstad: Johan Slabbert Special School