What is Cyber Security?
Cyber security is the protection of internet-connected systems, including hardware, software and data, from cyber attacks.
Cyber security, computer security or IT security is the protection of computer systems from theft of or damage to their hardware, software or electronic data, as well as from disruption or misdirection of the services they provide.
Purpose of Cyber Security
What is cyber security awareness? It’s not just knowledge. Knowing isn’t doing. Security awareness is knowledge combined with attitudes and behaviors that serve to protect our information assets. Being cyber security aware means you understand what the threats are and you take the right steps to prevent them.
Below there is a number of tips to help keep your personal data safe:
- Always keep your personal access information secure, and change your PIN and passwords regularly.
- Never open on a link or an attachment within an email claiming to be from banks
- Please do not disclose your secret access credentials to any 3rd party.
- Be aware that phishing scams have also been received through instant messaging systems such as WhatsApp or Skype
- Install good quality security software and ensure that you have updated to the latest version of your browser.
- Don’t bank or shop online when using public Wi-Fi such as those found in internet cafes, coffee shops, airports etc. Key-logging software could be present on the computer and will send all your personal information through to the fraudster.
- Before you bank online, ensure that you are actually within the secure internet banking website.
- Once there, check the browser address. It should begin with ‘https://’ (not ‘http://’) – the” s” indicates it is a secure site.
- Also check the browser for a closed lock and/or key icon – which should either be at the top or the bottom of the screen.
- When leaving your computer, always end the current session by closing your browser window, and never leave your computer unattended during an Internet Banking session