The security mandate of the Department of Public Works and Infrastructure is to provide a safe and secure environment at government buildings occupied by more than one department as well as for the protection of political office bearers. This mandate is executed within applicable laws and regulations. This mandate is executed by a dedicated unit that is responsible to:
- Provide physical security and access control at provincial government buildings utilized by more than one Department and managed by the Department of Public Works and Infrastructure.
- Provide electronic security services to residential areas of political office bearers
- Presentation of security awareness campaigns
- Provide accredited security training to security personnel
- Conduct security audits and appraisals
- Provide security during departmental events
- Coordinate screening and vetting investigations with State Security Agency
- Coordination withall security agencies on security matters
The Unit also participates in the Provincial Security Managers’ Forum.